Few in America will likely be aware that a critically acclaimed live-action/animated Looney Tunes movie starring Wile E. Coyote was wholly made, but then shelved by Warner Bros. studios.
But, after a raucous outcry from the creative team who fell in love with the project and spent months bringing it to life, Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD) finally agreed to sell the rights to Ketchup Entertainment for what an insider told The Wrap was around $50 million.
Called Coyote vs. Acme, the film is reported to boast that brilliant mixture of adult and childish humor that made Looney Tunes relevant for so long among American audiences.
The “Vs.” in the name implies legal action—wherein Wile E. Coyote files a lawsuit against Acme for the countless faulty products he purchased from the company in his pursuit of the indomitable Road Runner.
Even though the film had consistently been highly rated by critics and early-screening audiences, it almost received an Acme anvil to the head before anyone in the public could view it.
Reported extensively by The Wrap, Coyote vs. Acme had been green-lit by a previous team of executives, 4 of whom were replaced during production.
The new suits, who had to delay the theatrical release to avoid contending with Barbie, decided to switch strategies and finally—following the wave of indignation from the film’s production team—acquiesced to letting them shop it around.
What they didn’t tell the team was that the price would be fixed, and WBD would do the talking. After failing to find a buyer for an $80 million take-it-or-leave-it price tag for streaming and non-streaming releases—and rejecting a $50 million offer from Paramount that would include a theatrical release, WBD was prepared to shelve the film permanently and take a $40 million tax write-off in advance of a bad third-quarter earnings drop last year.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: True Story of Penguin’s Annual Return to See the Man Who Saved it From Oil Spill is Now a Feature Film (See Trailer)
In summary, over a year of creative labor from stars Will Forte, John Cena, Lana Condor, and Tone Bell, was nearly “silenced by a movie studio’s balance sheet.”
Will Forte, who plays Wile E. Coyote’s legal counsel, said specifically that the decision made his “blood boil.”
But before that was all folks, it was announced on Monday that the film was finally sold to Ketchup Entertainment—who recently released another Looney Tunes movie entitled The Day The Earth Blew Up.
Getty Images for Unsplash+ALSO CHECK OUT: Elon Musk to Bring Back 1st Drive-in Movie Theater to LA at Tesla’s New Supercharging Station
“We’re thrilled to have made a deal with Warner Bros. Pictures to bring this film to audiences worldwide,” Ketchup Entertainment CEO Gareth West said in a statement.
“‘Coyote vs. Acme’ is a perfect blend of nostalgia and modern storytelling, capturing the essence of the beloved Looney Tunes characters while introducing them to a new generation. We believe it will resonate with both longtime fans and newcomers alike.”
A release date of 2026 in American theaters is believed to be most likely.